Angstrom Engineering Evovac Evaporator
|Warning:||This page is still under development Information is accurate but films will be added to charts as they are qualified.|
|Angstrom Engineering Evovac Evaporator|
|Material Processed||Ti, Cr, Au, Al, Ni, Pt, Ag,Cu, Pd, Ge, Al2O3, SiO2, TiO2|
|Sample Size||6", 4", 3" and 2" wafers, pieces|
|Supported Processes||Supported Processes|
The Angstrom Engineering Evovac is a combination electron beam evaporator and thermal evaporator used to deposit Ti, Cr, Au, Al, Ni, Pt, Ag, Cu, Pd, Ge, Al2O3, SiO2 and TiO2 with the ability to heat the substrates and do in-situ substrate cleaning using an ion mill. It is an open loop box coater with a dome that can run multiple wafers and substrates in each run.
All the e-beam evaporators in the LNF are setup using small point sources and long throw distances that lead to very directional deposition with minimal heat transfer. The “line of sight” nature means that evaporated films have poor gap fill but make the tool ideal to use for lift-off applications. The evaporators in the LNF use thin films controllers with quartz crystal monitor feedback. These controllers pre-heat the source materials with the shutter closed. Then, during deposition, the controller uses the feedback from the crystal monitor and varies the e-beam or thermal power to maintain a steady, preset deposition rate and to determine the total evaporation thickness.
- May-June 2016 Tool being installed
- 6/29/2016 SOP added, Data added for films so far. Tool will be released with a limited film set (10 ebeam, 2 thermal films)
- 7/5/2016: Tool released to users with limited filmset.
- Multi-wafer lift-off evaporator
- Medium deposition rate (1-5 Å/sec) metal and dielectric films on multiple wafers
- Designed for low heat transfer and minimal sidewall coverage for liftoff applications
- Stacks of multiple films can be run
- Cryo-pumped box coater capable of low 10-7 Torr base pressure in 1 hr of pumping
- Reactive gasses or heating up to 250C.
- 8x15cc pocket E-beam gun and 2 thermal sources to allow 10 different materials to be deposited in one run
- Large distance from source and curved substrate dome designed for lift-off applications
- Dome rotation and curved uniformity plate to allow for better uniformity
- 2”, 3”, 4” and 6” wafer holders available as well as clip fixtures for smaller pieces
- Tool holds 4x4” or 4x6” wafers or 4x6" fixtures.
The Angstrom Engineering Evovac Evaporator is designated as a Metals class tool. Below is a list of approved materials for the tool. Approved means the material is allowed in the tool under normal circumstances. If a material is not listed, please create a helpdesk ticket or email email@example.com for any material requests or questions.
- Angstrom Engineering Films:
|Material||E-beam Pocket||E-beam Max thickness||E-beam Max Deposition Rate||Thermal Max thickness||Thermal Deposition Rate|
|Titanium (Ti)||1||1 µm||5 Å/sec||TBD||TBD|
|Chromium (Cr)||2||5000 Å||5 Å/sec||N/A||N/A|
|Nickel Ni||3||5000 Å||5 Å/sec||N/A||N/A|
|Gold (Au)||4||1 µm||5 Å/sec||TBD||TBD|
|Aluminum (Al)||5||1 µm||5 Å/sec||2000 Å||2 Å/sec|
|Platinum (Pt)||6||2000 Å||5 Å/sec||N/A||N/A|
|Palladium Pd||6||5000 Å||5 Å/sec||N/A||N/A|
|Silver Ag||7||1 µm||5 Å/sec||2000 Å||2 Å/sec|
|Copper Cu||7||1 µm||5 Å/sec||N/A||N/A|
|Tantalum Ta||7||5000 Å||4 Å/sec||N/A||N/A|
|GermaniumGe||8||5000 Å||5 Å/sec||N/A||N/A|
|Alumina Al2O3||8||2000 Å||5 Å/sec||N/A||N/A|
|Silicon Dioxide SiO2||8||5000 Å||5 Å/sec||N/A||N/A|
|Titanium Dioxide TiO2||8||TBD||TBD||N/A||N/A|
- Any combination of these films can be run as long as they are setup for the right pocket combination. They are run 1 at a time using the Inficon software.
Each of the materials has a standard Inficon film program outlined on the AE Evap Process Parameters page.
Standard Operating Procedure
Widget text will go here.
- Read through this page and the Standard Operating Procedure above.
- Create a Helpdesk Ticket requesting training.
- A tool engineer will schedule a time for initial training.
- Practice with your mentor or another authorized user until you are comfortable with tool operation.
- Schedule a checkout session with a tool engineer via the helpdesk ticket system. If this checkout is successful, the engineer will authorize you on the tool.
The Angstrom Engineering Evaporator is opened for scheduled maintenance:
- Once a week and the gun area is cleaned and shutter is replaced.
- The chamber dome, sidewalls, shutters and covers are cleaned with foil replacement as needed (approximately once every 2-4 months.)
- Tool leak checks, pumping speeds and film characterization are done periodically or when major tool changes are done.
- Cryo absorbers are replaced once every 3 years.
Tool Pumping Performance
Pumping speeds and Leak-up rates vary based on chamber sidewall deposition and outside conditions such as humidity and time tool was open.
Angstrom Engineering pumping speed - tool crosses over to hi-vac in 6-7 minutes at 90mT
Power Bump Recovery
The only maintenance that users are allowed to perform is power interruption recovery.
- In the event of a power interruption, the PLC should retain the current tool status and typically a cryo regen is not needed.
- Follow the power bump section of the Angstrom Engineering Evaporator Startup and Shutdown Procedure