This page captures updates related to the LNF operations during the COVID-19 pandemic.
11/10/2020: Staggered schedule of evaporators is no longer in effect
See https://lnf-wiki.eecs.umich.edu/wiki/COVID-19_Protocols#Staggered_usage_of_evaporators_in_EECS_1440D_no_longer_in_effect for all details.
11/1/2020: Protocol updates:
- Practicing with other users can now resume under special conditions. See COVID-19_Protocols#In-person_support for the special protocols to follow if/when two users are practicing or working together in the lab.
- Intake of new lab users can now resume. Note that, once again, the procedure had to be adjusted. Details are at https://lnf.umich.edu/getting-access/, "Onsite usage" section.
8/28/2020: See below for several important updates to the current protocols.
- Lab Locations are being increased to allow for a larger number of users to work in the lab while still maintaining the required distancing. Each location can still be used by a single individual (unless it is for transient access under 5 minutes), but there will be more locations available to reserve. The updated list is posted on the COVID protocols wiki page. The changes will be implemented in the scheduler Wednesday 9/2 at 7am.
- Cleanroom Gowning Room. Effective immediately, two people are now allowed to be in that space as long as they maintain 6ft distancing. Note that the 2 minutes minimum between successive entries is still in place, though. The 2 minutes rule also applies to entries in ROBIN.
- Access Schedule and Shifts. Starting Monday 8/31/2020, users may enter the LNF outside of their shift times. However, they still have to avoid any interactions with researchers from other cohorts outside of the LNF (corridors, atrium, parking lot...), and we strongly recommend that they try to focus their onsite presence around their original shift times whenever possible. There will still be no user access on Sundays (or holidays such as Labor Day 9/7) and during the reinstated lab clean times (see below). All other protocols remain in place to ensure reduced occupancy and required distancing. Note that access to other / individual labs on campus still follows the shift schedule, unless otherwise specified.
- Mon/Thu Lab Cleans 8:30-9:30am are resuming. Lab users can no longer be present inside the cleanroom or ROBIN during those times. Unattended processes can run, but users should plan so that they exit before 8:30am or enter after 9:30am.
- Equipment Training/Support sessions with LNF Staff are resuming. We are currently developing protocols to do so safely and effectively. If you need any training/support, please create a Helpdesk ticket on the equipment that you need and requests are being addressed case by case as we work through the backlog of related tickets. If your request is time-sensitive, please make sure to provide necessary details.
At this time, there is still no user-user practices or mentoring(see 11/1/20 update).
6/30/20: We are working on a process to allow campus/lab access for external LNF users. If you have an urgent need and did not respond to the May survey, please contact Sandrine Martin firstname.lastname@example.org
Also, please remember that access to the LNF (and many campus buildings) is done in two separate shift corresponding to distinct cohorts of researchers. The times are set up strictly to ensure that there is no overlap between the groups of people. Not in the lab, not in the building and not even in the parking lot. Plan ahead and give yourself plenty of margin, since processing is slower than normal. Your LNF access device will only work during your shift times.
- shift: 1 7am - 3pm
- shift 2: 3:30pm - 11:30pm
6/8/2020: When setting up process services to address the lack of campus access (external users) or lack of in-person training/mentoring, the hourly rate for staff time will be reduced by 40% ($45/hr for academic users, $86/hr for non-academic users).
6/3/2020 Steps needed to reactivate your LNF access once you are cleared to conduct research on campus:
First, please remember that access is restricted to internal users who can work independently (have all the needed tool authorizations) and - since onsite staff presence is limited - have after-hours access to the LNF. If you do not yet have after-hours access, you can first complete the steps listed on the corresponding wiki page Requesting_After_Hours_Access.
- Complete the MyLinc COVID-19 training. Please send a copy of the MyLinc certificate to LNFemail@example.com
- Review the LNF protocols wiki page
- Take the LNF protocols quiz. 100% score is required, please retake the quiz if needed.
- Submit your LNF access reactivation request form
5/29/2020 Material from the Friday 5/29 talk on Operations ramp up:
- Slides and recording
- The calendar for the Fiji ALD temperature rotation has been updated Veeco_Fiji_ALD
5/17/2020: Following Governor Whitmer's executive order from 5/15 and University directives (see the 5/16 email from Rebecca Cunningham, U-M vice president for research for more details), the LNF is proceeding with the first phase of ramping up. Note that access will initially be extremely limited. Further details will be provided very soon.
Here is a dedicated page with new protocols as they pertain to the current sitution: COVID-19 Protocols
5/11/2020: The LNF is still closed and we do not yet have a specific timeline established for ramping up, but we are actively planning for the reopening phases and needed protocols.
While requirements and guidelines from the State of Michigan and the University of Michigan are still forthcoming, we expect that the research ramp up will be very gradual. During the initial stages of re-opening, only laboratory users who are fully qualified will be allowed in the LNF. We are also considering access limitations and social distancing measures required to keep everybody safe, and to comply with State/University rules.
For further reference, please visit the U-M Office of Research (UMOR) dedicated page on research re-engagement https://research.umich.edu/covid-19/research-reengagement
3/20/2020: The LNF is closed. Updates will be posted here as the situation evolves. Stay healthy everybody.
For more updates, please see the following dedicated pages (updated 4/15/2020)
University of Michigan https://publicaffairs.vpcomm.umich.edu/2019-novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov/
U-M College of Engineering https://covid-19.engin.umich.edu/
U-M Research Operations page https://research.umich.edu/covid-19
U-M EHS page http://ehs.umich.edu/2020/03/24/ehs-covid-19-information
General information and updates about COVID-19, please refer to the CDC https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
3/18/20 6pm: Considering the escalating COVID-19 situation and following the directions from the University, we are closing the LNF this Friday March 20th.
Depending on hardware details, some equipment will need to be taken offline at noon, others will stay available until 3pm. Please check the scheduler for up to date status. All lab users need to complete their processing by 3pm.
Considering this, the lab will be open tomorrow morning during the normal lab clean time (8:30-9:30am).
Note that access to the building is by MCard only at this point.
3/18/2020: Parking enforcement on north campus is suspended.https://ltp.umich.edu/2020/03/17/covid-19-update/
- We are implementing plans to minimize LNF onsite staffing while continuing to support our user community to the best of our abilities. We will have two groups of staff that will be onsite on alternate days (details will be on the staff calendar). On days that staff are working from home, they will be available via Helpdesk ticket, email, phone etc. The split has been developed to minimize disruption with tasks coverage and to avoid having staff sharing offices or nearby desks being onsite on the same days.
- No more than 2 people should be in the cleanroom gowning area at the same time. Please wait a few minutes if there are already people there when you are about to enter the gowning room.
- Please do not travel to Ann Arbor if you are not local (Southeast Michigan) and we recommend against new users starting in the LNF at this time. If this causes an issue for your group/project, please let us know so that we can find alternative solutions.
- Following recommendations from the U-M Office of Research (https://research.umich.edu/covid-19), we are suggesting that you consider postponing elective activities or experiments that are not time-sensitive. It would also be wise to be prepared for a reduction in operations, and to consider what steps you would follow if your LNF work had to be placed on hold with short notice.
3/12/2020: the LNF operates normally. We have increased cleaning procedures for the areas outside of the cleanroom (shared spaces where people do not wear gloves) and are updating some of our gowning protocols as described below .
- Additional Cleaning:
Wipes are provided in shared areas (conference room, CAD room, corridor leading to ROBIN).
Daily cleaning has been added in these areas including keyboards, mice, counter spaces, door handles, light switches, chair armrests. Please wipe down face shields before using them at all acid/base benches.
- Cleanroom Gowning Protocol Updates:
Wash hands before coming to cleanroom entrance
Immediately after entering gowning room, first put a pair of gloves then proceed with the rest of gowning steps
Wipe safety glasses before donning them
Put second pair of gloves when entering the cleanroom
When exiting the cleanroom, put booties in the trash. Do not reuse them.
- New Cleanroom Garment Bags Protocol:
Bags will no longer be reused from one user to the next.
Starting immediately, please obtain a second name tag and leave it on your bag at all times to prevent multiple users of the same bag.
Once we have sufficient stocks, garment bags will be removed weekly and sent to laundry at the same time as suits.
- ROBIN Gowning Protocol Updates:
Face masks are recommended if multiple people are working together in close proximity
Immediately after entering the ROBIN gowning area, first put a pair of gloves then proceed with the rest of gowning steps
Wipe safety glasses before donning them
Put second pair of gloves before starting to process
- New ROBIN Lab Coat Storage:
Niche spaces will no longer used for multiple lab coats or from one user to the next
Niches will be wiped down by LNF staff everytime they are emptied for laundry
When users are de-gowning, they should first wipe down inside of niche before placing lab coat inside
Never put multiple lab coats in single niche