|Sample Size||150mm x 4mm and smaller samples|
|Gases Used||Ar, N2, O2|
Lab 18-2 is a magnetron sputter deposition tool for depositing conductive metallic films. Sputter deposition is achieved by bombarding a source material with energetic ions, typically Ar+. Atoms at the surface of the target are knocked loose, and transported to the surface of the substrate, where deposition occurs. Electrically conductive material such as Al, W, and Ti can use a dc power source, in which the target acts as the cathode in a diode system. Sputtering of dielectrics such as silicon dioxide, or aluminum oxide requires an Rf power source to supply energy to the argon atoms. Sputter films are ideal for sidewall coverage in low thermal budget cases for contact and insulating layers over features.
The target configuration has been moved to the Supported Process section below. Follow the link to Lab 18-2/Processes. On this page under the Target Calendar header is the link to the calendar.
- Computer controlled recipes
- Load lock supported processing
- limited film stress versatility with in film development.
- Reactive Film capabilities (Ar, O2, and N2)
The Lab 18-2 has a 18" D-shaped chamber with a load lock chamber to quickly load and unload samples without breaking high vacuum in the process chamber. The tools five magnetron sputtering sources are set up to allow for RF, DC, and DC co-sputtering. There is an additional Rf power supply on the substrate platen to allow for in situ sample cleans, and bias voltage to manipulate the film characteristics. Sample heating up to 500C is achieved by using the tools quartz heater lamps.
- Cryo pumped chamber – upper 10-7 Torr base pressure
- Chamber capacity: single wafer
- Configured with load lock
- Sample heating – up to 500°C
- Power specs
- Five 3” Sputtering Guns
- 2 DC and 2 RF power supply (one for sample bias)
- Sample sizes: pieces, up to 6” wafers.
- Wafer holders available for 2", 3", 4", 6"; as well as clip fixtures for smaller pieces
- Diameter 150 mm maximum
- Substrates up to 4 mm Thick. With special fixture up to 8 mm.
The Lab 18-2 is designated as a Metals class tool. Below is a list of approved materials for the tool. Approved means the material is allowed in the tool under normal circumstances. If a material is not listed, please create a helpdesk ticket or email firstname.lastname@example.org for any material requests or questions.
Basic "User" access with the Lab 18's provide researchers the ability to load, transfer samples, and deposit standard characterized materials. For more details, see Lab 18-2/Processes.
In addition to these, this tool has a number of user-supported recipes for depositing a wide variety of materials. Some of these recipes are documented on User Processes. If you are curious if your material can be deposited in this tool, please contact the tool engineers via the helpdesk ticket system.
Fourteen films are available. If two thicknesses are listed the first is for per run and the second thickness is for total material used per reservation.
|Material||Max thickness (Run/Reservation)|
|Aluminum (Al)||1 µm / NA|
|Alumina/Aluminum Oxide (Al2O3)||1000Å / NA|
|Chrome (Cr)||2000Å / NA|
|Copper (Cu)||1000Å / 5000Å|
|Germanium (Ge)||4000 Å / NA|
|Gold (Au)||5000Å / NA|
|Iron (Ir)||1000Å / 5000Å|
|Nickel (Ni)||5000 Å / 1 µm|
|Molybdenum (Mo)||2000 Å / 8000 Å|
|Platinum (Pt)||5000 Å / 1 µm|
|Silver (Ag)||5000 Å / 1 µm|
|Tantalum (Ta)||2000 Å / NA|
|Titanium (Ti)||2000 Å / 5000 Å|
|Tungsten (W)||3000 Å / 9000 Å|
|Tungsten/Titanium (W-Ti)||3000 Å / 8000 Å|
Standard Operating Procedure
Widget text will go here.
- Read through the Standard Operating Procedure above.
- Create a helpdesk ticket requesting training.
- A tool engineer will schedule a time for initial training.
- Practice with your mentor or another authorized user until you are comfortable with tool operation.
- Schedule a checkout session with a tool engineer via the helpdesk ticket system. If this checkout is successful, the engineer will authorize you on the tool.
For more details, see Lab 18-2/Maintenance and qualification.