|PVD 75 Proline|
|Material Processed||Al, Al2O3, Cr, Fe, Ni, Si, SiO2, Si3N4, Ag,Ti|
|Sample Size||150mm x 4mm and smaller samples|
|Gases Used||Ar, N2, O2|
The PVD 75 Proline is a magnetron sputter deposition tool for depositing conductive metallic and non conductive dielectric films. Sputter deposition is achieved by bombarding a source material with energetic ions, typically Ar+. Atoms at the surface of the target are knocked loose, and transported to the surface of the substrate, where deposition occurs. Electrically conductive material such as Al, W, and Ti can use a dc power source, in which the target acts as the cathode in a diode system. Sputtering of dielectrics such as silicon dioxide, or aluminum oxide requires an Rf power source to supply energy to the argon atoms. Sputter films are ideal for sidewall coverage in low thermal budget cases for contact and insulating layers over features.
- The target change process on this tool is a user supported process. That can be completed during the tool reservation when the chamber is vented to load samples.
- Computer controlled recipes
- Non load lock configuration
- limited film stress versatility with in film development.
- Reactive film capabilities (Ar, O2, and N2)
The PVD 75 has a 14" square-shaped chamber high vacuum process chamber. The tools four Tourus Mag Kepper magnetron sputtering sources are set up to allow for RF, DC, Pulse DC and DC co-sputtering. There is an additional Rf power supply on the substrate platen to allow for in situ sample cleans, and bias voltage to manipulate the film characteristics. Sample heating up to 350°C is achieved by using the tools quartz heater lamps. The average run time on this tool per wafer is about two hours.
- Cryo pumped chamber – upper 10-7 Torr base pressure
- Chamber capacity: single wafer
- Configured with port for future load lock
- Sample heating – up to 350°C
- Four 3” Sputtering Guns
- 2 DC (one pulse DC source) and 2 RF power supply (one for sample RF bias)
- Sample sizes: pieces, up to 6” wafers.
- Wafer holders available for 2", 3", 4", 6"; as well as clip fixtures for smaller pieces
- Diameter 150 mm maximum
- Substrates up to 4 mm Thick. With special fixture up to 8 mm.
- Sample Mounting
The PVD 75 Proline is designated as a Metals class tool. Below is a list of approved materials for the tool. Approved means the material is allowed in the tool under normal circumstances. If a material is not listed, please create a helpdesk ticket or email firstname.lastname@example.org for any material requests or questions.
Basic "User" access with the Lab 18's provide researchers the ability to load, transfer samples, and deposit standard characterized materials. For more details, see PVD 75 Proline/Processes.
In addition to these, this tool has a number of user-supported recipes for depositing a wide variety of materials. Some of these recipes are documented on User Processes. Wondering if your material can be deposited in this tool, please contact the tool engineers via the helpdesk ticket system. See the more about privately supported materials on the LNF Sputtering Adding New Films page.
Multiple staff characterized films are available. If two thicknesses are listed the first is for per run and the second thickness is for total material used per reservation.
|Material||Max thickness (Run/Reservation)|
|Aluminum (Al)||3000Å / 1 µm|
|Alumina/Aluminum Oxide (Al2O3)||500Å / 3000Å|
|Chrome (Cr)||3000Å / 9000Å|
|Iron (Ir)||2000Å / 6000Å|
|Nickel (Ni)||2000 Å / 6000Å|
|Silver (Ag)||3000 Å / 6000Å|
|Silicon (Si)||3000 Å / 6000Å|
|Silicon Dioxide (SiO2)||1000 Å / 3000Å|
|Silicon Nitride (Si3N4)||500 Å / 1000Å|
|Titanium (Ti)||3000 Å / 6000 Å|
|Tungsten (W)||3000 Å / 9000 Å|
Standard Operating Procedure
Widget text will go here.
- Complete the following items
- Create a helpdesk ticket requesting training.
- A tool engineer will schedule a time for initial training.
- Practice with your mentor or another authorized user until you are comfortable with tool operation.
- Schedule a checkout session with a tool engineer via the helpdesk ticket system. If this checkout is successful, the engineer will authorize you on the tool.
For more details, see PVD 75 Proline/Maintenance and qualification.