|Material Processed||Ag, Al2O3, Au, Fe, Ge, MgF, MgO, Pd, Px, SiO2, SiO, Ti, TiO2, ZnSe|
|Sample Size||4", 3" and 2" wafers, pieces|
|Supported Processes||Supported Processes|
The SJ-26 Evaporator is an electron beam evaporator used to deposit Ag, Al2O3, Au, Fe, Ge, MgF, MgO, Pd, Px, SiO2, SiO, Ti, TiO2, and ZnSe. It is large box coater with a multi-wafer dome or it can be run with a single wafer jig for thicker depositions.
All the e-beam evaporators in the LNF are setup using small point sources and long throw distances that lead to very directional deposition with minimal heat transfer. This means that evaporated films have poor gap fill but make the tool ideal to use for lift off applications. The evaporators in the LNF use thin films controllers with quartz crystal monitor feedback which pre-heat the source materials with the shutter closed and vary the e-beam power to maintain a preset deposition rate and to determine the total evaporation thickness.
- This tool is currently offline, for a major system upgrade. Announcements as to the progression of the project will be discussed in the LNF Monthly Update. The targeted release date for this tool is January 2018.
- Multi-wafer lift-off evaporator
- Medium-to-high deposition rate (2-10 Å/sec) metal, optical and dielectric films on a multi-wafer dome
- Designed for low heat transfer and minimal sidewall coverage for liftoff applications
- Stacks of multiple films can be run
- Cryo-pumped box coater capable of low 10-5 Torr base pressure in 2 hrs of pumping
- No reactive gasses or heating run on this tool
- 4x15cc pocket E-beam gun to allow 4 different materials to be deposited in one run
- Large distance from source and curved dome for liftoff applications
- 2”, 3” and 4” wafer holders available as well as clip fixtures for smaller pieces
- Tool holds 6x4” or 14x3"fixtures.
The SJ-26 Evaporator is designated as a Metals class tool. Below is a list of approved materials for the tool. Approved means the material is allowed in the tool under normal circumstances. If a material is not listed, please create a helpdesk ticket or email firstname.lastname@example.org for any material requests or questions.
Fourteen films are available. If two thicknesses are listed the first is for the dome (6x4" wafers +8x3") and the second thickness is for the Jig (1x4" wafer or fixture)
|Material||Max thickness (Dome/Jig)||Max Deposition Rate|
|Silver (Ag)||1 µm / NA||4 Å/sec|
|Alumina/Aluminum Oxide (Al2O3)||3000 Å / 2 µm||5 Å/sec|
|Gold (Au)||4000 Å / 2 µm||10 Å/sec|
|Iron (Fe)||2000 Å / NA||2 Å/sec|
|Germanium (Ge)||4000 Å / NA||10 Å/sec|
|Magnesium Fluoride (MgF)||1 µm / 3 µm||5 Å/sec|
|Magnesium Oxide (MgO)||1000 Å / NA||2 Å/sec|
|Palladium (Pd)||2000 Å / NA||6 Å/sec|
|Pyrex (Px)||1 µm / 3 µm||7 Å/sec|
|Silicon Dioxide (SiO2)||2000 Å / 1 µm||10 Å/sec|
|Silicon Monoxide (SiO)||2000 Å / 1 µm||10 Å/sec|
|Titanium (Ti)||1 µm / 3 µm||14 Å/sec|
|Titanium Dioxide (TiO2)||1000 Å / 3000 Å||3 Å/sec|
|Zinc Selenide (ZnSe)||1 µm / 3 µm||3 Å/sec|
- Some combinations of these films can be run. They are programmed 5 at a time in the automation software.
Each of the 14 films has a standard XTC film program outlined on the Standard Processes page. Combinations of films can be run in any order by programming them 3 at a time in the XTC controller.
Standard Operating Procedure
Widget text will go here.
- Read through this page and the Standard Operating Procedure above.
- Create a Helpdesk Ticket requesting training.
- A tool engineer will schedule a time for initial training.
- Practice with your mentor or another authorized user until you are comfortable with tool operation.
- Schedule a checkout session with a tool engineer via the helpdesk ticket system. If this checkout is successful, the engineer will authorize you on the tool.
The SJ-26 is opened for scheduled maintenance:
- Once a month and the gun area is cleaned and shutter is scraped.
- The substrate mounting dome, sidewalls, shutters and covers are cleaned as needed (approximately once every 8-14 months.)
- Tool leak checks, pumping speeds and film characterization are done periodically or when major tool changes are done.
- Rough pump oil is changed once every 12 months. Cryo absorbers are replaced every 3 years.
Tool Pumping Performance
Pumping speeds and Leak-up rates vary based on chamber sidewall deposition and outside conditions such as humidity and time tool was open.
SJ-26 pumping speed - tool crosses over to hi-vac in 7.5-9minutes
14 Films are standard in the SJ-26
Power Bump Recovery
The only maintenance that users are allowed to perform is power interruption recovery.
- In the event of a power interruption, recovery of the tool within a few minutes will save the tool down time lost to a cryo regen.
- Follow the power bump part of the SJ-26 Startup and Shutdown Procedure