This page provides information and resources for LNF users and other members of the LNF community. It includes details about laboratory policies and corresponding documentation that can be used as reference. Material from the LNF user communications meetings and the LNF technology seminar series are also archived on this page. Links to other resources that can be useful to the LNF community are also included.
- 1 General lab policies
- 2 Material and chemical policies
- 3 After-hours lab access
- 4 Safety policies and information
- 5 Usage charges and financial information
- 6 Communications
- 7 LNF Tech Talks (technology seminar series)
- 8 Other resources
General lab policies
This section includes links to the LNF user manual and other documents related to LNF policies.
- LNF user manual part I: general information
- LNF user manual part II: emergency procedures
- Slides from the new user info sessions, updated September 2016.
- Requesting visitor access
- Professional conduct policy
- Private beaker storage
- Badges and name tags policy
- Locker and gowning room policy
- LNF User Memorandum of Understanding (to read and/or print)
- DI water request
- Data Purge Policy
Material and chemical policies
After-hours lab access
- After hours policies
- Requesting after hours access to the LNF
- Requesting after hours access to the EECS Building
Safety policies and information
Usage charges and financial information
- How to request access to a new account or shortcode (for internal users). Here is the information that we need to set up a new account or change the shortcode that you have access to in the LNF online system - Note that account changes are *not* retroactive. The most effective way is to create a general Helpdesk ticket and email any additional information to LNFemail@example.com.
- name, contact information and approval of PI
- name, contact information and approval of financial reconciler (and contact information of any additional person who may need access to reports on usage/charges)
- complete chartfields
- funding source or agency
- project name
- relevant technical area (choose one from: Electronics, Optics, MEMS, Materials, Physics, Chemistry, Life Sciences, Medicine, Geology, Process Technology, Other)
- How to distribute your room charges if you have multiple active accounts (lab time apportionment)
- Archived financial memos and related files including tool rates and complete fee schedules.
- Internal (U-M) billing procedure and details of the CoE subsidy to internal users
- How to obtain LNF usage reports from the Online System (for both users and PIs)
User communication meetings
Please see below for slides presented during recent LNF User Communication Meetings, which provide updates about lab operations and other information relevant to the user community.
March 29th, 2019
September 28th, 2018
April 26th, 2018
November 30th, 2017
July 27th, 2017
February 17th, 2017
The LNF Council consists of at least six members, typically faculty users of the LNF from a variety of departments. The role of the LNF Council is to assist the LNF Director with strategic planning for the LNF and to provide guidance concerning operations. See this page for more details about the LNF Council. Feedback and/or questions about LNF operation are always encouraged. The LNF council is an important point of contact for independent discussions. You can contact them at LNFfirstname.lastname@example.org (please note that this email address does not include the LNF director or managing director, whose emails are email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org, respectively.
Other communication methods
For more updates and to stay in touch, like us on Facebook or follow us on our general Twitter feed. And to ensure that you don't miss any time-sensitive announcements, subscribe to our LNF Alerts twitter feed!
For existing members of the LNF community, the Helpdesk ticket system is the best way to request something from the LNF staff.
In addition to the Contact Us page that is available on the LNF website, we have set up several email list to contact groups of LNF staff.
- info@LNF.umich.edu for general information about LNF usage, capabilities, user support, lab tours etc.
- LNFemail@example.com for details about access to the lab.
- LNFfirstname.lastname@example.org for issues related to access cards (access cards questions, change of room access, etc).
- LNFemail@example.com for questions or requests related to LNF fees, accounts or charges.
- LNFfirstname.lastname@example.org for questions related to feedback entries.
- LNFemail@example.com for questions about the LNF Online Services.
- LNFfirstname.lastname@example.org for safety questions or concerns at the LNF.
- LNFemail@example.com for questions related to purchasing supplies for LNF usage.
LNF Tech Talks (technology seminar series)
The LNF Tech Talks (formerly known as the LNF technology seminar series) aim at educating and better informing users of LNF capabilities and technologies. The talks typically start with an overview of the technology or technical topic, including physics and applications, then provides specifics details about the corresponding LNF capabilities. Finally, there are opportunities for discussion of LNF user specific challenges. All archived video recordings are available here. See below for individual recordings and separate copies of the slides.
- Metal-Semiconductor Contacts and their applications to devices - October 19, 2018, Jorge Barreda: Video recording and complete slides
- Direct Writing in the Heidelberg - June 29, 2018, Vishva Ray: Video recording and complete slides
- ALD - March 1, 2018, Matthew Oonk: Video recording and complete slides
- Flip Chip Bonding - October 26, 2017, Katharine Beach: Video recording and complete slides
- PECVD - April 14 2017, Brian Armstrong: Video recording and complete slides
- E-beam Lithography - February 24, 2017, Vishva Ray: Video recording and complete slides
- Wafer bonding - May 5, 2016, Greg Allion, Rob Hower: Video recording and complete slides
- Wafer cleaning - March 25, 2016, Rob Hower, Kevin Owen, Nadine Wang, Greg Allion, and Pilar Herrera-Fierro: Video recording and complete slides
- Photolithography - June 12, 2015, Rob Hower and Greg Allion: Video recording and complete slides
- Metrology part 2: In-Depth Discussion of Ellipsometry and SEM - May 1, 2015, Brian Armstrong and Vishva Ray: Video recording, slides for ellipsometer section and slides for SEM section
- Metrology part 1: Overview - March 27, 2015, Pilar Herrera-Fierro, Brian Armstrong, and Vishva Ray: Video recording and complete slides
- PVD - February 27, 2015, Matt Oonk and Dave Sebastian: Video recording and complete slides
- RIE - January 16, 2015, Kevin Owen: Video recording and complete slides
- Annealing - November 21, 2014, Terre Briggs and Rob Hower: Slides
- PECVD - October 24, 2014, Brian Armstrong: Slides
Here are additional resources that can be useful to the LNF community.
Information for proposals
Overview slide to include in presentations: see below for two layout options.