Woollam M-2000 Ellipsometer
|Woollam M-2000 Ellipsometer
|pieces up to 6" wafers
The Woollam M-2000 is a spectroscopic ellipsometer capable of extracting thickness and index of refraction for transparent and semi-transparent thin films or coatings. It is equipped with fully automated sample alignment with stage tip/tilt and focus. It has a high speed CCD detector for collection of data across the full spectral range of 193-1683 nm simultaneously. Typical acquisition time is 5 sec per site per angle.
None at this time.
- Thickness range: From 10 Å to several μm (Note: Maximum thickness is film dependent.)
- For very thin films (less than ~150 Å), ellipsometry loses sensitivity to optical constants. To measure the thickness of these films, the model for n and k must be assumed or determined from a thicker sample (assuming the optical constants are the same for both thick and thin samples).
- Since only two values are being measured at each wavelength, only two unknowns can independently be solved at each wavelength (thickness and n, n and k, thickness1 and thickness2, etc). This must be kept in mind when building and fitting a model to the data set. If too many unknowns are included in the model, the fitting result may not be valid or unique.
- For absorbing films, the film must be thin enough so it is not opaque. Metals thicker than ~1000 Å are typically opaque for reflection measurements.
- In addition to standard ellipsometry measurements, this tool can be used for:
- Transmission intensity measurements for samples with transparent substrates
- Angled reflection intensity measurements
- Contact the tool owner by submitting a Helpdesk Ticket for support of these measurements.
- Wavelength range: 193-1683 nm
- Variable angle range: 45 to 90 degrees
- Spot size: (3 mm diameter)
- Without focusing optics is 3 mm x 12 mm @ 75 degree angle of incidence
- With focusing optics is 300 μm x 1.2 mm @ 75 degree angle of incidence.
- Note: Focusing optics are available for use with staff assistance.
- Sample Stage Size: 6” for 150 mm wafers and smaller samples
- Sample must be > 3 mm x 1.2 cm in size to accommodate beam size without focusing optics. (300um x 1.2mm with focusing optics)
- Maximum sample thickness ~15mm
- Substrate types:
- Material files for various substrates are available including silicon, germanium, GaAs, glass, and others.
- Single side polished substrates should be used if possible to avoid issues with backside reflections.
The Woollam M-2000 Ellipsometer is designated as a General class tool. Below is a list of approved materials for the tool. Approved means the material is allowed in the tool under normal circumstances. If a material is not listed, please create a helpdesk ticket or email email@example.com for any material requests or questions.
- No liquids or uncured spin on films. Nothing that will stick to the stage or leave a residue behind. Other than that, there are no restrictions.
- There are automated recipes available on the tool for wafer map characterization of a number of thin film depositions in the LNF.
- If there is a common use recipe you would like to have added to the tool, please submit a Helpdesk Ticket to contact the tool owner.
Standard operating procedure
Widget text will go here.
- Read through this page and the Standard Operating Procedure above.
- Create a Helpdesk Ticket requesting training.
- A tool engineer will schedule a time for initial training.
- Practice with your mentor or another authorized user until you are comfortable with tool operation.
- Schedule a checkout session with a tool engineer via the helpdesk ticket system. If this checkout is successful, the engineer will authorize you on the tool.
Lamps changed and system alignment calibrated as needed.